Traditionally Black Friday is celebrated in America the day after Thanksgiving. This marks the start of the Christmas period. The popularity of Black Friday however has spread far and wide with many more of us enjoying the benefits that it brings.
What exactly is Black Friday?
Black Friday normally occurs at the end of November and its when retailers offer big discounts on a range of products. Electrical products usually have the biggest discounts, with many people going mad for a new TV’s or gaming console.
Most retailers take part in Black Friday and will offer some discounted sale items. Amazon usually kick their sale off at midnight, and other shops will open earlier for people to grab that bargain. Supermarkets also take part and will offer discounts on other things such as clothes and pet food.
Some hints and tips for Black Friday
To get the best possible deals on Black Friday just follow these tips:
1. Only buy items that you wanted originally. While the discounts on some things may seem like a bargain, you may end up spending more if you didn’t need them in the first place.
2. Shop around. So, you have found the thing you were looking for and great it’s on sale! However, don’t just jump in and buy it straight away. Do a quick Google search to make sure it’s worth the price. Some retailers will put prices up before Black Friday to make it seem like the sale is a good deal.
3. Register for an account before Black Friday. Having an account already created and logged into, will make bagging that bargain quicker and easier, so you won’t miss out.
4. Sign up for newsletters. Many companies offer discounts through their newsletters or give you early access to sales.
5. Be wary of brands you haven’t heard of before. Lots of the big offers on electrical goods tend to be on makes and models you may not be familiar with. While it may seem like a good offer, chances are the TV was only worth the sale price in the beginning.
6. Can you get a price match? If you have found something that seems like a good offer, but haven’t bought from that shop before, see if another shop will price match. Shops like Game and Curry’s have been known to offer a price match guarantee.
7. Don’t forget cashback sites. Free to sign up to, you can make money back just by shopping online.
8. Look at the price not the savings. It’s easy to be dazzled by the amount you are saving, but these offers are usually exaggerated.
Cyber Monday is the Monday after Black Friday, and it’s when online shops have their sales and offer bigger discounts. Cyber Monday usually only lasts for the day, but over the last few years they have lasted longer, giving you more time to bag a bargain.
If you are looking to borrow & save this Christmas PCCU’s affordable Christmas loans may be of interest to you. Taking out one of our Christmas Loans will enable you to enjoy a stress free celebration, certain that you can afford what you’re spending, and won’t be dealing with forbidding bills due for payment in January.