For four decades PCCU has been dedicated to helping account holders create better saving habits. So much so that Pennine is now trusted with over £14m of account holders money.
If you are someone who would like to build some extra savings here are 10 money saving tips that will help you get started.
- Budget- decide on a manageable saving amount through budgeting your outgoings in relation to your income.
- Set a target – in mind of the amount of total money you would like to save in a certain timeframe and its purpose. Having this in mind can really help you to be consistent with your savings habits.
- Prioritise your savings account – As soon as you receive your income for the week/ month, set aside your manageable savings amount from your usual current account. This can be done automatically through a standing order or manually.
- Think before you buy – we understand that it can be difficult not to buy unneeded items once payday hits. Therefore we recommend before each purchase waiting at least 24 hours before buying. This can help you really think about if you need this item or not.
- Watch your bank balance – keeping a close eye on your bank account can help you become more aware of your finances. Better yet identifying your largest regular outgoings can help you cut back on your spending in this areas.
- Rehome unwanted items – Take use of the extra time at home to sort through your cupboards and sell items online that you no longer have a use for.
- Fakeaways – Tackle recreating your favourite takeaways at home. It will likely be not only cheaper but healthier too.
- Upcycle existing furniture before buying new – This could save you hundreds of pounds when redecorating. There’s lots of free online resources that will show you how too.
- Save what you would usually spend – each time you don’t follow your usual spending habits transfer this money into a savings account e.g. if you would usually save £50 on a family takeaway at the weekend and only spend £20 on a homemade alternative put £30 into your savings account.
- Lastly, reward yourself – each time you hit a significant figure with your savings treat yourself to something you really want. Saving can be hard and sometimes restrictive, allowing yourself a reward for your efforts is likely to encourage you to keep going.
We hope these saving tips will help you recognise where you can improve on your saving habits and enable you to build a healthy saving pot that you can fall back on it you need to. Why not put these tips in to action today and build a better financial future for tomorrow.
If you are looking for a savings account then PCCU have a range of different accounts designed for all our account holder’s needs such as a long term saving account, easy savings, a Christmas savings account and a young savings account for your little ones. If you do choose to save with us you will also be helping people within your local community too! As while the money you save is safe within your account (protected by the FSCS up to £85,000) it allows us to issue loans at affordable rates.
If you wish to learn more about which free account is the best for you, call our knowledgeable team on 01282 691333.